Aftermarket Performance EXpress (APEX) located in the San Francisco East Bay is a fast growing company that produces high performance automotive wheels and wheel accessories, in addition to distributing a range of other performance products. Our popular products are known for their performance, quality, value, and superior fitment, but our real success comes from our team of hard working, highly motivated staff members. Our staff of enthusiasts are technical experts that know what customers need, and offer personalized, honest, and detailed product recommendations based on experience, research, and testing. We work everyday to improve our product’s features and expand our product lines. Although we’ve been in the parts business since 2007, our culture, environment, and growth rate feel more like that of a tech startup.
APEX is looking for an educated and experienced engineer to help manage the development of new wheels and other performance products, in addition to coordinating with manufacturers for their production. This position will take ownership of all relavent projects, and will earn bonus pay based on successful project completion. Working with the owner and other engineers, you’ll use your project management experience to keep all projects moving forward simultaneously. Besides your education, you’ll bring your prior industry experience, which will allow you to confidently get product ideas from paper to finished goods with minimal training. Communicating with domestic and overseas manufacturers is something you already have experience with, and you know how to get them to perform and keep them accountable. You’ll be responsible for calculating all reorder quantities based on industry best practices and reports/calculators you create. Purchasing will be an important part of your responsibility until you’ve helped systemize the process and we add a dedicated member to the team for that role. As we grow you’ll oversee engineering assistants and coordinate with the purchasing, sales, and marketing departments to develop product, and keep product flowing. You’ll help facilitate the collection of fitment data through research, which you’ll use to train staff and create educational content for blog articles. Your comfort and familiarity in this role will allow us to focus on quickly training you on relevant topics instead of industry basics. Your past customer interaction experience will make communicating complex technical topics and troubleshooting product issues with new and existing customers smooth, as you’ll embody our philosophy of superior customer service from all departments.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Project manager for all new and existing APEX product developments
- Coordinate with with other engineers and staff to complete new wheel designs and fitments
- Develop and design new performance products and accessories independently
- Create and modify CAD files via SolidWorks
- Communicate with all current manufacturers and suppliers to create samples and oversee final production
- Source and vet new and alternate suppliers for new product lines
- Schedule production runs, calculate ideal production volumes, reorder points, and maintain needed inventory levels for APEX products
- Formulate and automate decision making processes with custom reports and Excel spreadsheets for purchasing
- Update and populate product data, and pull reports from our NetSuite ERP system
- Organize R&D vehicle test sessions with marketing to produce content for educational blog and forum articles
- Record testing data, and manage/populate fitment databases with findings
- Educate sales staff on correct/recommended fitments based on research
- Support Sales and Customer Service by communicating directly with customers to answer technical questions, and test fitment compatibility of other components with our products on request
- Systemize all engineering and production processes to allow for expansion of department
- Serious passion for performance cars, racing, and modifying cars
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering
- Solidworks proficiency and experience
- 2+ years engineering experience in aftermarket automotive or powersports industry
- OR 5+ years engineering experience in a relatable field
- Proven project management experience
- Experience working with manufacturers and suppliers to source product
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Familiarity with wheel specifications and fitment variables
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite with strong emphasis on advance Excel use
- Experience using online community forums
- Experience in wheel industry highly preferred
- Experience engineering complimentary performance products
- Familiarity with vehicle models and available performance parts for BMWs and other makes and models such as Subaru, Porsche, Audi, VW, lotus, mustangs, camaros, corvettes…
- Background in purchasing with experience managing inventory levels
- Sales experience
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and bonuses – based on experience
- telecommuting options
- Medical/dental benefits
- Sponsorships/subsidies for HPDE and autocross event registration fees
- Employee discounts
- Eligible for SEMA College Grant and loan forgiveness program
- 19,000 sq. ft office and warehouse with lobby, break room, conference room, and private work space
- 4,000 sq. ft professional cyclorama photo studio for car and product photography
- R&D area with car lift, tire mounter/balancer and tools to work on your car
This is a full time position that may require occasional weekends for shows and events.
We offer benefits and unique programs, plus the opportunity for promotions as we continue to quickly expand and fill higher level job openings.
Please send resumes including a cover letter that explains why you would be a good fit as our engineer, including background on your experience with performance auto parts and wheels. We will not consider candidates unless this explanation is included. Please submit resumes in MS Word or PDF format to apexjobopenings (AT) gmail (DOT) com.
Do not walk-in, or contact us directly by phone for this position. All applicants must apply via email.